The Auckland Shell Club was formed in 1931 as a Section of the Auckland Museum.
Our interests are in all things molluscan - shell collecting (recent and fossil), conchology and malacology (study of shells and shellfish), as well as molluscan ecology and conservation.
We invite like-minded people to join our Facebook Group for interactive discussions. Here you can share shell related information or ask questions.
For more information you can also contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Annual Shell Auction - Albany Hall, Saturday 23/October/2021 (Labour Weekend).
Here is the Auction Schedule - this year there are 234 lots.
Covid19 restrictions permitting, viewing will commence at 10am and the auction will commence at 1pm. Sales tables will also be available from 10am - 1pm.
Collectors ... this is the most cost effective way to collect shells and buy books. A wide range of good quality and rare NZ and worldwide shells are available at reasonable prices.
Sellers ... please ensure that your lots are labelled with the correct lot numbers, and all set up prior to 10am.
Buyers ... payment is required on the day by cash, Eftpos, or Credit Card (VISA and Mastercard).
Proxy bids are welcome by email to email@example.com.
- A.G.M. - December 2021 (tba)
- Market Place (last update: 6/June/2019) - listings of shells or shell related items for sale, for free, or wanted.
- Register of Largest NZ Shells - let us know if you have the largest NZ shell of any species over 10mm in size.
- Club Newsletters - monthly issues back to Feb/2000.
- Poirieria Magazine - all our old publications are available online for viewing or download (PDF).
- Australian Shells - Identification guide for Australian shells.
- Checklist of the Recent New Zealand Mollusca - Reasonably up-to-date list of all New Zealand molluscs, with literature references.
- Hardy's Internet Guide to Marine Gastropods - Extensive collection of shell images (now moved to www.conchology.be).
- iNaturalist.nz - Photos of many NZ mollusc species in their natural habitat.
- Man and Mollusc - Resource site for all things molluscan.
- Museum of New Zealand Te Papa Tongarewa - Online access to the largest and most comprehensive mollusc collection in NZ, including photographs (work in progress).
- Natural History Museum Rotterdam - Molluscs - Extensive images of their worldwide shell collection.
- New Zealand Cenozoic Mollusca - Descriptions of New Zealand Cenozoic Mollusca, from Beu and Maxwell (1990).
- New Zealand Mollusca - Andrew Spurgeon's website, with information and images of over 1800 NZ species.
- New Zealand Shells - Peter Poortman's NZ shell collection, with images of over 1100 NZ species and forms.
- Seashell Collector (France) - Articles, images, information, and links.
- Seashells of New South Wales - Information and images of all seashells of New South Wales, Australia.
- World Register of Marine Species (WoRMS) - The most authoritative and up-to-date list of marine species globally.
- Australian Seashells - Large selection of shells for sale.
- Caledonian Seashells (New Caledonia) - Specialists of rare and top quality shells.
- Conchology, Inc. (Belgium) - Large selection of shells for sale, images, auction, articles, information, and links.
- Femorale (Brazil) - Large selection of shells for sale/exchange, many images, articles, and links.
- Indo/Pacific Seashells - Large range of Indo/Pacific seashells for sale.
- Perth Shell Distributors - Shells and other marine collectables for sale, shell collecting and diving trips.
- Sanibel Seashell Industries - Shells for everyone from serious collectors to crafters.
- Shellauction.net (Italy) - Monthly on-line shell auctions.
- Shells Passion (France) - Large selection of shells, with images, for sale.
- Top Seashells (Philippines) - Good quality shells for sale and auction, all with images, and many good links.
- Belgian Society for Conchology - Large European shell club, Neptunea publication, annual International Shell Show.
- British Shell Collectors Club - Large and active shell club based in Britain, Pallidula publication, annual Shell Show, much collecting information and reference material.
- Conchologists of America - Information on shells and collecting, plus lists of worldwide shell clubs and events.
- New Zealand Geographic Place Names - Search tool to locate all official NZ place names.
- New Zealand Sea Conditions - Marine reports and forecasts for swell height/period, sea temperature, wind, rain, temperature, and more.
- New Zealand Tide Forecaster - Tide forecaster for many locations around New Zealand.
- Norman Douglas Manukau Harbour collection - Photographs of Norman's entire Manukau Harbour collection.
- San Diego Shell Club - Club information, events, store, & publications.
- Sydney Shell Club - Club information, images, articles, & publications.
- The Malacological Society of Australasia - Organisation that promotes the study of molluscs.
- Wellington Shell Club - Club information.